Facebook Meta Stock (MVRS)
With Facebook rebrand to Meta. As an investor you may have some questions in mind, below I have answered couple of the common ones. And discuss Why FB rebranded itself and What it means for your Investments in the Stock and how it affects the future of the company ?
What will be the new company name of Facebook (FB) ?
Meta Platforms Inc. will be the new of the Facebook Inc.
New Logo and Website
This will be the new logo of Meta (aka Facebook).
And is a more fancy version containing the major companies under Meta umbrella.
The new website for Meta is Meta.com (quite obvious).
What will be the new Stock Ticker symbol of Facebook (FB) ?
MVRS will be the new ticker symbol of FB starting 1 December 2021 on NASDAQ.
What does the “FB” ticker symbol change to “MVRS” mean to investors ?
This is a simple rebrand of the company name and branding and ticker symbol change should not affect your investments, the ticker will update on the Nasdaq stock exchange and the change should automatically also reflect in your brokerage account.
How many shares of Meta will Facebook investors get ?
There should not be any change to the number of shares you own given the company has not done any stock split. For every 1 share of FB you should receive one share of MVRS.
Why Facebook rebranded itself as Meta ?
This is a recent statement from Mark discussing their over dependance on one product.
“Right now, our brand is so tightly linked to one product that it can’t possibly represent everything that we’re doing today, let alone in the future. Over time, I hope that we are seen as a metaverse company, and I want to anchor our work and identity on what we’re building toward.”-Mark Zuckerberg, 2021, Source: https://design.facebook.com/stories/designing-our-new-company-brand-meta/
Why the name “Meta” ?
In their Design story FB mentions reasoning for choosing Meta as the name is the the fact that “Meta” can mean “beyond” and it’s an reminder that there is always more to build.
But in a nutshell what they are trying to do is reducing their businesses dependency from one product since they now own a couple including Whatsapp, Istagram and Oculus.
Why the name and branding change ?
- Facebook is constantly under fire for several reasons like privacy, elections, etc. It’s all about perception – when the company is called Facebook people perceive it as the core and if FB comes under fire the rest of the businesses can feel the heat but this way having a parent company “Meta” that perception is gone.
- They don’ t want to look like a social monopoly and get regulated in some negative way, think about it they own all the major social platforms of today – Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram. A recent dns outage at facebook lead to people being unable to communicate and where forced to go on long forgotten Birdy “Twitter” to complain.
- And now FB is Meta and Meta is an social, technology, advertising and metaverse company see how the perception changes and helps, plus when it comes to the regulators Meta can say they have a lot of competition cause their parent company competes in so many different ways or industries (like Meta’s branding talks a lot about Metaverse and virtual reality and as we know FB is already quite invested in VR given their investment in Oculus + plus they are making a new 150 million dollar investment in immersive learning) justifying they are not a monopoly since they own little market share of this huge competitive landscape (just as Google did with there rebrand to Alphabet couple years back). A very smart move indeed and a great news for FB investors thats why the stock jumped on the day of the rebrand announcement as it carries positive emotion for the company.
Here is a list of quick links if you would like to explore a little more –
- Introducing Meta: A Social Technology Company – October 28, 2021 by Facebook (now Meta)
- Designing our new company brand: Meta – October 28, 2021 by Facebook Design (now Meta)
- MVRS, Facebook’s New Ticker Symbol, Leaves FAANG in Flux – The Wall Street Journal (WSJ)
- New “Meta” About Page and Investor Relations
- Meta Twitter Account for updates
Meta (previously Facebook) is a tech and social media conglomerate and Meta’s focus will be to bring the metaverse to life and help people connect, find communities and grow businesses.
The metaverse will feel like a hybrid of today’s online social experiences, sometimes expanded into three dimensions or projected into the physical world. It will let you share immersive experiences with other people even when you can’t be together — and do things together you couldn’t do in the physical world. It’s the next evolution in a long line of social technologies, and it’s ushering in a new chapter for our company
Keywords: Meta, Meta Facebook, Facebook Meta, Meta FB